Understanding how to prevent and protect ourselves from exposure to mosquitoes is very
important, as besides being an annoying nuisance, mosquitoes also pose a number of human health hazards such as West Nile Virus and Zika.
Thankfully, there are quite a few maintenance tips that one can take to manage mosquitoes on their property, many of which can be implemented DIY style or with the help of a professional company. Let's check them out!
1) Reduce the mosquito habitat around your home by regularly cleaning and emptying water holding containers such as gutters, boats, canoes, bird baths, pools, children's toys, eaves troughs, tarp covers and plant trays.
Poorly drained areas such as lowspots, depressions, tire ruts or other areas that collect water need to be remedied and minimized. Eliminating as many of these sites as possible will reduce the incidence of mosquitoes in the vicinity.
2) Ensure that rain barrels are covered with a fine screen and tightly sealed around the downspout. Since mosquitoes breed in standing water, this will help prevent more mosquitoes populating around your property.
Catch basins and other areas collecting water should be monitored closely to ensure standing water does not persist as well.
3) Clean your yard of old tires, empty flower pots, buckets and any other debris where water collects.
4) Keep grass mowed and vegetation trimmed around high use areas such as doorways & seating areas.
5) Avoid leaving piles of grass, leaves or dead wood around the yard. These are great places for mosquitoes to breed in as well as hide.
6) Treat your property with a barrier spray from mosquito.buzz. Our expert team of licensed and trained technicians will visit your property every 21 days to ensure you and your family are protected from mosquitoes and the harmful diseases they carry. We carefully target and treat all places where mosquitoes live, rest and hide.